Check reviews for parts and mods for the b16

Moderators: B17 Moderator, B16 Moderator

User avatar
By 1darkV
#100853
installed mine tonight...installing them was easy, getting to them was a pain in the ass, had to take apart the whole lower dash to pull the console and I still managed to scratch up the dash :suicide:
A couple of points: I used some blue loctite I had left over from the short shifter on the threads to make sure they didn't vibrate loose and VERY IMPORTANTLY DO NOT UNPLUG THE AIRBAG LIGHT on the climate control panel without disconnecting the battery first. I did that and now I have a flashing airbag light :facepalm:

They do noticeably firm up the shifts, with a very positive engagement...that mushy feeling when going into 3rd and 5th is completely gone. But the linkage itself is still sloppy, we need to upgrade those plastic bits in there and it would be perfect matched up with the TWM shifter and a weighted knob.

Only drove it for about 15 minutes to test it out, but so far I like it. Great value at only 35 bucks, but a real pain to install. If you're comfortable taking apart the lower dash and already have the short shifter I would recommend it. :thumbup:

Image
side by side with the stock piece:
Image
Image
had to deal with this...looks like it got smashed during install at the factory, yeah for Mexican quality control!!
Image
at this point it hit me that I had to put it all back together again :facepalm:
Image
By axelrtgs
#100854
For the air bag light if it's the same as my old versa to get rid of it all you have to do is turn ignition from off to on wait for the air bag light to go out/stop flashing then back to off 5 times and on the 6th time back in the on position start the car.

I used to have mine go on regularly when I took off my dash in my versa playing with my sound system.

Hope this helps


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
By 1darkV
#100856
axelrtgs wrote:For the air bag light if it's the same as my old versa to get rid of it all you have to do is turn ignition from off to on wait for the air bag light to go out/stop flashing then back to off 5 times and on the 6th time back in the on position start the car.

I used to have mine go on regularly when I took off my dash in my versa playing with my sound system.

Hope this helps


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks man, I'm going to go try that right now :D
User avatar
By willms81™
#100857
Damn getting to your B16 shift linkage looks like a major PITA.
User avatar
By 1darkV
#100937
SPECVVEL wrote:Dang.. talk about snapping it up!! :P thanks for the thoreau review. :thumbup:

and thanks for the tip, lol....I ordered them Wednesday night and they were at my door Friday morning with UPS.
I've had a chance to drive it much more today and I am very happy with them. It is a MUCH more positive engagement, and it shifts easier when your being lazy too, no mushy vague feeling anymore, it just clicks right into gear. Not sure if it would be the same with the stock shifter, but I'm sure it'll help either way.
willms81 wrote:Damn getting to your B16 shift linkage looks like a major PITA.

Yes its a major PITA to get to, but it had no instructions and I had no idea what it would take to get to them, so it took me about two hours to do it. Now, i could probably do it in 30-45 minutes. Nissan really over builds the dash on this car, you have to take out the entire lower dash to get to it. A bonus is that after I put the dash back in, an annoying squeak I had is gone :D
BoostedB16 wrote:I want to get these also.. looks like a pain though

Jason, this is a must for drag racing, really big difference when going through the gears quickly.
axelrtgs wrote:For the air bag light if it's the same as my old versa to get rid of it all you have to do is turn ignition from off to on wait for the air bag light to go out/stop flashing then back to off 5 times and on the 6th time back in the on position start the car.

It worked :D , thank you so much for the tip.
User avatar
By 07BlackSpecV
#101051
Hey Mike, thanks for the review, I'll have to buy these when I can finally afford the STS at the same time. Would it be possible to get a walk through on doing this though? Take the guess work out of it for some members.
User avatar
By 1darkV
#101848
07BlackSpecV wrote:Hey Mike, thanks for the review, I'll have to buy these when I can finally afford the STS at the same time. Would it be possible to get a walk through on doing this though? Take the guess work out of it for some members.

Yeah i should have taken more pics to do a proper how to but wasn't too sure on the process without instructions, I kind of just went at it hoping for the best. The shitty thing is you can actually reach 3 of the 4 nuts without taking the whole dash out, its the one on the lower left that gave me fits (of course it was the one that was bent too :facepalm: ) But once you do it and learn the steps, its easy enough. I'll either write out a how too in the next few days or if I get some time on Sunday I'll take it apart again and take pics.
User avatar
By Tonez
#101956
If you take it back apart again, just to take pics for a proper how-to, I will <3 you forever Michael...lol.
User avatar
By 2010 Spec V
#110696
I just did this today, and it definately firms up the shifts. It is not dramatic, although it helps. It is really a pain though. I think it took me about 45 min from start to finish.
By qr25de
#149160
Holy fack! Everyone that has a B16 Spec-V MUST do this modification. The trim is a little bit tricky around the shifter, but once you get it all off you can get those pesky rubber bushings out of there and bam there ya go. It is absolutely worth it and gives our car the positive shifter engagement that it should have come with from the get-go. Gear selection is POSITIVE without any rubbery feeling to it and certainly without any vagueness to it either.

I also find that I don't get the vibrations from the drive train that I used to. I guess there is a weaker point in the system that is absorbing whatever slack is left. I can only dream what the STS is like because I'm still using the stock setup.
User avatar
By Evan
#149186
After installing these and the chromoly steel mount at the same time I can say that the entire driving feeling has changed for the better. The shifter is super precise and finds the gates better than ever. It's still a tad bit notchy, but it isn't bad at all.
By TURBOSENTRA08
#149428
1darkV wrote:installed mine tonight...installing them was easy, getting to them was a pain in the ass, had to take apart the whole lower dash to pull the console and I still managed to scratch up the dash :suicide:
A couple of points: I used some blue loctite I had left over from the short shifter on the threads to make sure they didn't vibrate loose and VERY IMPORTANTLY DO NOT UNPLUG THE AIRBAG LIGHT on the climate control panel without disconnecting the battery first. I did that and now I have a flashing airbag light :facepalm:

They do noticeably firm up the shifts, with a very positive engagement...that mushy feeling when going into 3rd and 5th is completely gone. But the linkage itself is still sloppy, we need to upgrade those plastic bits in there and it would be perfect matched up with the TWM shifter and a weighted knob.

Only drove it for about 15 minutes to test it out, but so far I like it. Great value at only 35 bucks, but a real pain to install. If you're comfortable taking apart the lower dash and already have the short shifter I would recommend it. :thumbup:

Image
side by side with the stock piece:
Image
Image
had to deal with this...looks like it got smashed during install at the factory, yeah for Mexican quality control!!
Image
at this point it hit me that I had to put it all back together again :facepalm:
Image


hey dude / those bushings go where you show them in the third pic
but i don't understand why you took everything apart when i had the tranny swap done, it was done without tearing all that shit apart
heres a pic and BTW i'm ordering mine asap :thumbup:
Image
User avatar
By Evan
#149433
Did you put the washers behind the shifter assembly? There's no possible way you could have gotten behind it without removing the other pieces. I think you didn't finish your install.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]