Need help with your car? Ask in here
By duggyrocks
Hi I am Doug.
Couple years ago I picked up a 2002 XE from a guy at work, $500, because the heater core went, and it is too hard/expensive to replace.
Been driving great until a few months ago, when I noticed it would miss or sputter at cruising speed of 80-90K (for you USers, that's 50-55 MPH - yes I am Canadian!). I ran some Lucas injector and fuel cleaner through it, and of course it got worse, to the point that climbing the hills and bridges in my city were difficult, making the commute a lite ... embarrassing :)
I checked plugs, coils, trouble-shooted the heck out of it on the internet, and somehow came up with fuel pump related. So I ordered a new one off Amazon. Still same problem. Got it coded, and it came up with a P0183. The technician said that there was no signal coming from the fuel tank temperature sensor. I looked into that, tried to find one, and was generally confused, because it was a brand new assembly that I had bought, so why was there something wrong with the sending unit? To make a long story short (or at least attempt to) the dumbasses that designed and sold the assembly forgot to put the sensor in, and blah blah blah, after a couple of weeks back and forth, they gave me a full refund.
Fast forward to today!
Yesterday I went to the local wrecker and picked up a fuel pump WITH a sensor on it (so THAT'S what they look like!). Installed it, and after some farting around, yes the car is running great - except that the dang ENGINE light is still on, and it still sputters under load.
I am at my whit's end here. I am not quite ready to pat more to get this fixed than I paid for the car, but I don't know what to do next.
Any pointers?

Thanks!

BTW, despite the fact that it is a beater to the extreme, and it gets kinda cold and foggy in the winter (not too bad, as Vancouver is pretty mild) I actually like the car ... when it running well!
By jamaul08
Sounds like you've done a fair bit of troubleshooting already. Have you looked for a possible vacuum leak?
By duggyrocks
I had a guy look at it, read the code, same thing. P0183 I think. Fuel tank temperature sensor. Knowing that I have a sensor, how could it be the exact same problem?
Checked various vacuum hoses, nothing stands out. Still, what’s the use in a code if it doesn’t show the issue? Thinking of selling it to my nephew to make a buggy out of it :D
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]