Moderators: B17 Moderator, B16 Moderator

By Super Shadow
I smoke tested my exhaust in my shop and turns out I have a couple small holes in my manifold down close to the flange/o2 area on bank two side. Question is, do these cars(07 spec-v) have any issues with aftermarket manifolds? I want to retain legality(kinda) but it would be nice to have a header, but I know this deletes the cats and I will get p0420 and p0430 codes with a header. Any suggestions on OE vs aftermarket manifolds v headers?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Last edited by Super Shadow on Wed May 10, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By eXcude
I wouldn't run a header with an OEM exhaust, that's my input for yah.

We have a small selection of headers and each have their own drawback between on another.
By BrooksyCC7
If you want to run a header all you have to do is get a 90° spacer for the O2 sensor after the catalytic converter. This will get rid of the code but you may not be able to pass emissions. If you find a shop that will pass you based on codes alone, then this will do.
By Super Shadow
I am looking to do the whole exhaust at some point....just looking at my options. If I do remain with a stock manifold, are these cars picky between oe and aftermarket manifolds?

By eXcude
My understanding from just reading up on it around here is you get the 02 spacers and a 'high flo' cat (on your fancy new catback) you should be fine for emissions.

I will be doing this myself in the near future, I will be able to speak out of experience at that point and will be happy to let you know how it all works.
By Super Shadow
eXcude wrote:My understanding from just reading up on it around here is you get the 02 spacers and a 'high flo' cat (on your fancy new catback) you should be fine for emissions.

I will be doing this myself in the near future, I will be able to speak out of experience at that point and will be happy to let you know how it all works.

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the input

By yogib777
imo
before you modify your exhaust find out the emissions requirements in your county
[there are none in mine]
normally you can get by with one cat

the header, catback, cat, combo will radically change your exhaust sound

most times NA, it will get considerably louder set up this way
although you may like the tone better

listen to as many sound clips as you can
this can be a very expensive mistake
or the best $ you spent

personally i went thru 4 different exhaust systems
to get one that sounded good,was quiet enough and performed well, NA

try to skip that experience

many headers that are 4-2-1 will eliminate both cats
thats ok
just weld one back in

as i did
DC header, magnaflow high flow cat

did the same on the turbo install
[btw, turbo's make the best mufflers, no kidding]
ImageDSCN1489 by Barry Belgard, on Flickr

in my experience
By Super Shadow
So i went ahead and found a header for my car. Just recently installed it(after i had to have my friend weld in a new o2bung due to misalignment for the bank two bung). Car feels more responsive now. Only drawback is that now when I'm getting on it in higher RPMs, it has this harsh buzzing sound now with it. Whereas before my BRM exhaust was very mellow sounding. Don't get me wrong, I like the more aggressive tone, just not the buzzing that came along with it. So what I'm saying is, would the only way to calm the buzzing sound would be to chop up my exhaust and fit a longer resonator in there. Anybody else have this phenomenon if/when they put a header on?
By yogib777
always
we call that sound rasp

and everybody who uses a header system has to deal with it

most times the addition of a high flow cat and or longer resonators can be very helpful
with moderating that sound

as i said, i tried many combos to get rid of it,
still maintain good performance and legal quietness
and what worked best was the turbo
lol

imo
By eXcude
Well last time I posted my exhaust was not installed. It is installed now, all 4 bangers have that rasp when you open them up. It's a thing. The precats in the stock manifold help to mitigate the angry bumble bees.

I can't speak to the 2.0, but the 2.5 when opened up sounds very throaty for a 4 banger. I've received many compliments on the exhaust note. The rasp only happens around 2500. I intentional shift no less than 5k and it lands at 3k and misses the raspy window.

Don't like the rasp, get a 'real engine' as my v8 friends say when giving me shit. I only have half an engine they say :p
By eXcude
I did notice it buzzes above 5500 too...

Only seems to be when you're not punching it, heh, easy solution :D
Getting back into it

I would assume if someone was eying one they would[…]

Hey guys I am trying to figure out if i can get a […]

Fuel Pump issues?

Hi I am Doug. Couple years ago I picked up a 2002 […]

Well the Techs at Nissan did what I was on the ver[…]