Need help with your car? Ask in here

Moderators: B17 Moderator, B16 Moderator

2012 spec v with 45k miles here. All stock, purchased at the beginning of this month (february) and have only put 93 premium bp (I think) gas in it since purchase. Was told the previous owner only put premium shell in the tank. Idle is hesitant but aside from that, the sentra runs and pulls great.

So I'm going to change the spark plugs, and test the coil packs this upcoming friday/saturday to see if that helps. Common sense and past experience with coil pack issues tells me that if one were actually bad, the car would only be running on 3 cylinders and either be hard to start or run very poorly so I'm already expecting the coils to test good since my car is running pretty well.

I've been researching similar issues on this website and from what I've read it could be gas issues or possibly a vacuum leak. Maybe today or tomorrow I'll take off the engine cover and try to spray some carb cleaner and detect any changes in idle for a leak.

If anyone could give me ideas to check that would be awesome as I'm new in the sentra world and could really use some help.
The plugs should be fine until well over 100k miles as they are Iridium, so unless there is signs of damage/excessive wear I wouldn't bother changing them personally.

93 is useless unless you have a tune for 93 octane, 91 should be fine. I run 91 and the car pulls like a mother and idles perfect.

If the car was running on 3 cyls it would sound like a Harley and you would have tons of power loss, how rough is the idle? The car is loud even with OEM exhaust and intake IMO.
eXcude wrote:The plugs should be fine until well over 100k miles as they are Iridium, so unless there is signs of damage/excessive wear I wouldn't bother changing them personally.

93 is useless unless you have a tune for 93 octane, 91 should be fine. I run 91 and the car pulls like a mother and idles perfect.

If the car was running on 3 cyls it would sound like a Harley and you would have tons of power loss, how rough is the idle? The car is loud even with OEM exhaust and intake IMO.

I don't think there will be a problem with plugs but I'd still like to check them, and if I go through the trouble of pulling them then I'd like to put brand new plugs in and it would be nice to not have to worry about them for a looooooong time. I did not know we only need 91. But I suppose it really doesn't matter as I believe the pumps around me only go 87<89<93 but it may be 91 I've never really paid attention tbh I just put in whatever says "premium" lol.

I'd say the idle is hesitant. Not rough but you can definitely feel it. Doesn't prevent me from starting the car but it's really bothering me on this almost brand new car haha
You should be fine running 93, I've filled up with it a few times before, but there is no benefit to the best of my knowledge. Nor should it cause problems I guess is what I was trying to say.
I just looked up your codes, they're all related to cylinder misfires, specifically 1 & 2. I'd give those plugs a visual inspection and go from there, I would say that would be a rough idle fo sho.
Just wanted to follow up on my post. The issue I originally posted about seems to have subsided for now at least. I believe it was due to the previous owner putting in 87 rating unleaded gas. I switched to 93 bp gasoline but was still getting these codes on and off and I didn't like the idea of the BP's detergent additives so I found a Shell station that was more convenient and closer to reach and so far the codes have cleared themselves. They came back a few times here and there but so far recently they have stayed cleared and I don't have the hesitation I had before. Either these cars are very sensitive to gas or the knock sensor (and/or other related parts) haven't been engineered properly.

Also this could possibly be related but the top air filter cover wasn't seating flush so I ordered a new one and replaced it. That may have done the job although I do remember the issue persisting a couple times afterward so maybe not.
WeatherTech vs. Husky Floor Liners

Hello, I actually just purchased the Husky Floor […]

Window Deflectors/Visors

AVS maybe the only other brand that mounts in bet[…]

I'm shooting for at least 10 years of ownership, […]

Get some d2 suspension lil pricey but u get what u[…]