Post your pretty pictures
By Sooshee
by popular demand...

Here is a very useful page that walks you through the basics like aperture, exposure, shutter speed, and depth of field.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/fo ... /index.htm

If anybody else has some helpful links, please add them!

Awesome thing explaining the basics of white balance:
http://www.istockphoto.com/article_view ... =95&Page=1

Lots of photography tutorials (I really recommend these):
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm
By Tonez
Thank you! This is now a "Sticky".

I have some reading to do now! :woot:
By Sooshee
Don't worry Ryan, it takes a lot more than reading some stuff on the interwebs to make someone a good photographer, LOL. I'm not one for the theories and mumble jumble of photography myself, I learned by just doing. :)
By KingDNH
If I only had a DSLR. :(
I have to photoshop all of my pictures to make them look decent.
By Sooshee
If you have to photoshop all your pictures to make them look good, there's nothing a DSLR is going to do for you... DSLRs don't make you into a good photographer. Sure, they make it easier to get what you want, but if you can't get anything good on a point and shoot, you're not going to get anything good on a DSLR.

I love when you stick digital/photoshop whores into a film class. It's fun to watch them all fail when they can't make up for bad photography on a computer program.

(Yes, I'm a film snob. Digital has ruined photography and made everyone into drones that are like "oh, i'll fix it in photoshop!" I must prefer shooting film over digital because it actually makes me think about the picture instead of having the ability to take unlimited amounts of images to get it right.)
By b16AVIS
you know.
I feel the same way,
about cars.
Gas engines ruined everything,
we should of just stuck to chariots being pulled around by animals.
All this technology is killing a once proud sport, now EVERYONE can get around easily, and say "i can just jump in my car."

its fun being a snob too but...
welcome to 2010
By Sooshee
Aww, a hater so cute. Don't be pissed you can't hack it on film like the big boys can.

Yep, outdated technology. That's why nearly all landscape photography is still done on large format film because there isnt' a digital camera in the world that can capture the quality and detail like the film can.

If you think you take good photos because you have to photoshop all of them, I hope you enjoy living in your dream world. I bet you like photographing import car shows, too, huh?
By b16AVIS
sorry that technology has turned your "masterful art of taking pictures" <- no sarcasm, into a much easier point, shoot and edit art form.
But thats what happens when humanity moves forward. Makes things easier and more accessible.

Be proud of your skill in using real film, having a FAR greater knowledge in cameras and photography then the average person.
big :clap: for you.
but please.
dont be so pretentious, your coming off as a prick.
By theBaLyon85
b16AVIS wrote:you know.
I feel the same way,
about cars.
All this technology is killing a once proud sport, now EVERYONE can get around easily, and say "i can just jump in my car."

welcome to 2010

So that wasn't being a prick? Had to chime in just to chime in right?

:fail:
By b16AVIS
theBaLyon85 wrote:
b16AVIS wrote:you know.
I feel the same way,
about cars.

welcome to 2010

So that wasn't being a prick? Had to chime in just to chime in right?

:fail:

no it was just pointing out that because the world has made something you've spent many hours mastering. Easier.
not to hate on it. its just something new.

some people cant understand sarcasm.
By b16AVIS
i was being VERY sarcastic.
doesn't always translate well into writing.

just saying don't hate on the new, easier version of what you guys do.
iv only messed around with a film camera in highschool for a class.
did the whole dark room and developing and stuff
yah. its really hard, and it takes someone with a lot of experience to get it right.

but dont bash on digital because someone with experience in CS4 can do the same work in less time.
thats just how tech works.
By Sooshee
You pretty much mistook what I said.

I was commenting on people who take bad pictures, and spend all their time trying to fix in photoshop. You can't photoshop a crap photo to good. All you get a crappy photo with a shitton of editing done to it. Digital has become a means for people to get lazy and shitty in their skills.

I shoot all my professional stuff digital because it's more cost effective, especially at sport events. But I still aim to do as little editing as possible, usually just crop and resize and converting my color profile, and sharpening.

I don't sit there and edit a static shot to look motion blurred because I'm too lazy to develop the photographic skills to blur a shot when I take it with panning, for example. Hence why I can crank about 1700 edited shots from Formula D in the time a person with no photographic skill can crank out 50 shots because they're motion blurring every single one to give the idea of motion in the shot.

I "learned" photography on digital, then went to film. And in my years of doing film I feel that my digital photography has improved a million times over, and I find myself taking fewer and fewer shots on digital to get what I need.

If you really want to learn more about the technical advantages of film (resolution, quality, etc), along with some good ol' Ken Rockwell humor, I suggest this: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filmdig.htm

I don't reject technology... but I feel the best shooting with my Holga... which takes medium format film and has no aperture/exposure adjustment and cost me $35. Yes, I prefer a $35 toy camera over my $3000 DSLR body. So shoot me.
By MrRage
Sooshee wrote: You can't photoshop a crap photo to good.

WRONG!!!! Black and White fix FTW lol.

On a serious note don't get me wrong I would be leiing if I said I have never used photoshop lol but I grew up on fild cameras. Film was not cheap like a CF, or SD card. Even when I do weddings or drift events or whatever I still take as little as I can. If I can get the compositions right I have lessediting at the end. I see guys at these events and they are going torugh 16GB cards like Mad. I'm always asked how I get them up so fast. Becuase the pics are 90% of what I wanted already. Pretty much everything Heidi just said.
:P
By Tonez
So, moral of the story here...

If you want to learn photography, you have to get out and take pictures.

Sounds like I have tons of practicing to do!
By bakerboard
07BlackedOut wrote:So, moral of the story here...

If you want to learn photography, you have to get out and take pictures.

Sounds like I have tons of practicing to do!

Lmao :thumbup:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]