Moderators: B17 Moderator, B16 Moderator

So if your like me and you just bought a new Spec-V, you probly dont have the money for a new 300$ K&N/Injen intake sytem quite yet. So while your making payments and working your ass off to get spending money, here is a quick easy way to get the most out of your Stock Intake System while you gather funds to spoil your new baby.

SKILL LEVEL: 1 out of 10

Step 1. Buy a K&N Stock Air filter replacement (direct replacement for your stock filter in your Air Box) here is a link to buy it on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/K-N-33-2409-Air-F ... automotive

Step 2. Replace Air Filter by simply squeezing both tabs and pulling upward on the Air Filter plastic cover. The filter simply comes right out the top. Be sure you put the new filter in the exact way the old one came out. Take note of which side the Air Filter bracket held the origional air filter, the new one will go in the same way. Pop the cover back on and your all done.

BEFORE YOU GO ANY FURTHER: Your Stock Intake has a huge "Resonator" that is very restrictive and Pointless (in my opinion). Its function is to make the Stock Intake quieter by routing some of the air coming into your engine into your Resonator first. So if you are not interested in hearing your intake do its job, then you are done at Step 4 and can go on with your life, but if your like me and want the most power and sound out of your Stock Intake, then i suggest continuing with this process and completing this job. The following steps will show you an easy way to not only render the Resonator useless, but will also keep the resonator in place so that it still looks stock from the factory and un-tampered with.
resonator.JPG
this is your resonator
resonator.JPG (127.9 KiB) Viewed 6646 times

Step 3. Remove the black plastic Nissan cover to gian access to the hoses that are attached to the Resonator. This can be achieved by removing the top 3 (10MM) bolts securing the cover to the engine.

Step 4. Disconnect the breather hose that is attatched to the Resonator by clamping the hose clamp with pleirs and pulling the hose off. There is also one more bolt holding down the Resonator just in front of the hose that you can unscrew now that you have room to work with the Cover off. Image

Step 5. Unscrew the metal clamp connecting the Resonator to the intake tube. (flat tip screw driver will work just fine)

Step 6. Pull out Resonator (pull straight up with a little force, nothing to crazy though it just pops off)

Step 7. Plug the hole of the intake tube with a Cap from an empty oil container (you can use a multitude of things i imagine, this was just the first thing i saw in my garage and it worked absolutely perfect).
oil cap intake.jpg
oil cap intake.jpg (3.59 KiB) Viewed 6646 times

Step 8. Re-assemble

!!ALL DONE!!

As simple as this was i actually did notice better throttle response. perhaps a "placebo effect", but i feel better about it none the less.

Pros: Better Air flow, improved throttle response

Cons: This will only work on the 2.5 motor. the 2.0 is set up different

Since any CAI for our car is 260$ or more, i feel that this is the most efficient and logical Mod you can do to improve our Stock Intake. It isnt much, but every little thing counts in my opinion and if you like tampering with your car like i do, this is an easy fun thing to do... Enjoy!
Last edited by MetalMulisha619 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
How does this pull more hot air than stock? Did you remove the part of the intake that pulls air from underneath your hood? If so, put that back because that is the coolest, densest air you can get with the highest pressure. There is a section of the stock intake that connects to a resonator that attaches to the car at the bumper support...you can take that one out safely and tape up the left over hole.
qr25de wrote:How does this pull more hot air than stock? Did you remove the part of the intake that pulls air from underneath your hood? If so, put that back because that is the coolest, densest air you can get with the highest pressure. There is a section of the stock intake that connects to a resonator that attaches to the car at the bumper support...you can take that one out safely and tape up the left over hole.

I removed the confusing "hot air section". its back to using the stock tubing as advised
Last edited by MetalMulisha619 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never understood why Nissan would add a resonator to the intake. It aint that loud.
Evan wrote:Definitely keep the snorkel. You can remove the resonator and the other part, but leave the ram-air snorkel thing. It definitely helps.

Ok will do, i will update the DIY when i get a chance. Thanks for the input
Nissan and other car makers put resonators on the intake to tune the sound of it. Whether that be quite it down or make it more 'throaty' is up to them for the most part (from the guy who makes them). I think the big resonator that was removed in this works more as a oil catch tank than a resonator though. Just based on what it's plugged into and some new Nissan models we have coming up at work.
good simple how to! this mod took me like 10 mins max. i did this a few weeks ago and i love it. better response and sound.the car likes to pull in the 5-6k range now. I used a PowerAde 32oz bottle cap. its all black and fits PERFECTLY. you missed one thing though. you didnt mention what to do with the hose going to that little resonator box. as you can see i just used a crankcase breather filter. i had several sitting around at my house. this one was the same size as the hose i took off. they are normally $10 at an autoparts store but i got a bunch at a local 99cents store. it was a lucky find :D its been several weeks with this setup and I have NO issues with anything. im on synthetic oil so the breather filter and surrounding area is still looking good :thumbup:

total cost of mod: $1
filter was a dollar and the cap was free. well not free if you include the price of the powerade then $2 total! haha

i recommend all those who have the Injen CAI to do this too. if/when i get my Injen the plug and breather will be staying :)

this was gonna be a temp solution for me till i either buy an InJen or customize my stock intake system more. but its working better than i thought so i can put off any future intake mods for awhile now :giggidy:

now if only the altima 2.5 engine cover would fit this car hmm....
I will have to take some pics of what i did to my stock air box tomorrow. I cut my stock air box up to get to the mass air meter and clamped on a universal K&N cone filter. I kept most of the stock air box to act as a shield and kept my stock snorkel to get the cooler air to it. This way i have a free flowing air filter with the stock mass air meter. I monitored it with consult and sitting in traffic on a 90 degree day it gets to 120 degrees. As soon as you start moving it drops and at about 30-40 mph it drops to 5-10 degrees above ambient. Traveling at a constant pace it stays at about ambient. I also later on removed my resonator/ oil breather separator. I also noticed with a open breather filter on the valve cover my alpha has moved up some. Thats the ecm adding fuel because of the unmetered air.Its pretty loud but throaty. Cost me 40 bucks total and probably as good as a K&N short ram. I am happy with it.
SinCity_SE-R wrote:good simple how to! this mod took me like 10 mins max. i did this a few weeks ago and i love it. better response and sound.the car likes to pull in the 5-6k range now. I used a PowerAde 32oz bottle cap. its all black and fits PERFECTLY. you missed one thing though. you didnt mention what to do with the hose going to that little resonator box. as you can see i just used a crankcase breather filter. i had several sitting around at my house. this one was the same size as the hose i took off. they are normally $10 at an autoparts store but i got a bunch at a local 99cents store. it was a lucky find :D its been several weeks with this setup and I have NO issues with anything. im on synthetic oil so the breather filter and surrounding area is still looking good :thumbup:

That you are correct and i apologize, i havent bought the breather filter yet but i am going to install one soon. This DIY was more for people that dont want to mess up that "stock" look but still wanna mess around with their car. ill admit i did this at work and i didnt spend all that much time on it, i just meerely wanted to post a "how to" that i did and see what people said. and i thank you all for replying. And thank you specifically for the Powerade bottle cap idea. that will be perfect for when i finally get my breather filter!!
2012SPECV wrote:I will have to take some pics of what i did to my stock air box tomorrow. I cut my stock air box up to get to the mass air meter and clamped on a universal K&N cone filter. I kept most of the stock air box to act as a shield and kept my stock snorkel to get the cooler air to it. This way i have a free flowing air filter with the stock mass air meter. I monitored it with consult and sitting in traffic on a 90 degree day it gets to 120 degrees. As soon as you start moving it drops and at about 30-40 mph it drops to 5-10 degrees above ambient. Traveling at a constant pace it stays at about ambient. I also later on removed my resonator/ oil breather separator. I also noticed with a open breather filter on the valve cover my alpha has moved up some. Thats the ecm adding fuel because of the unmetered air.Its pretty loud but throaty. Cost me 40 bucks total and probably as good as a K&N short ram. I am happy with it.

am looking forward to your pix! :thumbup: :)
MetalMulisha619 wrote:
SinCity_SE-R wrote:good simple how to! this mod took me like 10 mins max. i did this a few weeks ago and i love it. better response and sound.the car likes to pull in the 5-6k range now. I used a PowerAde 32oz bottle cap. its all black and fits PERFECTLY. you missed one thing though. you didnt mention what to do with the hose going to that little resonator box. as you can see i just used a crankcase breather filter. i had several sitting around at my house. this one was the same size as the hose i took off. they are normally $10 at an autoparts store but i got a bunch at a local 99cents store. it was a lucky find :D its been several weeks with this setup and I have NO issues with anything. im on synthetic oil so the breather filter and surrounding area is still looking good :thumbup:

That you are correct and i apologize, i havent bought the breather filter yet but i am going to install one soon. This DIY was more for people that dont want to mess up that "stock" look but still wanna mess around with their car. ill admit i did this at work and i didnt spend all that much time on it, i just meerely wanted to post a "how to" that i did and see what people said. and i thank you all for replying. And thank you specifically for the Powerade bottle cap idea. that will be perfect for when i finally get my breather filter!!

hey no problem man. its a good thing you did a thread on this. glad i could add to it :thumbup:
KiDSpence wrote:hey the 2.0 specs are alil different. I tried installing today to see what it did but in not sure if it works properly. my butt dyno says it does but im not truely sure.

Im sorry it didnt go quite as planned for ya bud. I didnt really specify that it will only work on the 2.5 motor. i will update that in a bit. in my opinion your best bet would be to just replace your air filter with a K&N to get the most out of your air box. I personally have never tampered with a 2.0 so i cant tell you any lil tricks like i could with the 2.5, hopefully some more experienced AllSentra people that have your same motor can help you out on this thread.

Pix of what you did??
my SES light kept comming on after i did this and it showed up as cylinder 4 misfire/Vacuum leak so i put the box back in and reset the ECU and it went away so i took the box out again it the SES light came back on after a week. The first time i took it out I went about 1 month without the light.
Just as a Heads up the engine ran just fine with the SES light
Actually, thats not the resonator, thats the cavity 2 box for the PCV system. Its supposed to be a baffle to prevent significant amount of oil to enter the intake. Its a glorified catch can, without the ability to drain or clean it. Most people who remove do not hear any difference in sound, but you do cut down the vacuum for the PCV system, and that will eventually have adverse effects in the long term.

I do agree on getting the K&N filter though, just make sure you soak up some of the oil overnight before installation, as it can kill your MAF.
Hello fellow sentra owners

very nice quite the collection what plans have y[…]

FS: 2014 Sentra SV Muffler Delete

Selling a muffler delete I made. Stainless tip, al[…]

to truly use all the power this engine can produce[…]

powder/2010 Spec V/Canada

So they do look good on a Sentra, that was a mode[…]