Doing something awesome to your house, garage or garden? Share it up
By 1darkV
May two-four long weekend is historically when us Canadians decide to build stuff...and with the help of a few neighbours I started my first (hopefully last, too lol) deck build. We got rained out on Saturday for about 4-5 hours, but we got in enough time to complete about 85% of it. Here is the build up:

First thing, to prevent the chance of grass and weeds growing through, you gotta kill it off. A roll of 8mm poly film and yard and a half of gravel will do the trick:

Doesn't look like much, but there's over 100 pieces of lumber there. We used over 500 deck screws plus about 4lbs of nails to put it together:

And some progress shots:

and here is the finished main part:
view from inside:

We still need to build in the little corner behind where the chairs are, that'll be my little bbq cubby :woot: . Then figure out where to build the stairs, pick out and install railings, privacy screening and furniture, skirting around the base, then do the landscaping around it, and fix all the grass (pretty much most of it :( ) that got destroyed during the build up.

Still needs some work, but I'm happy so far. I did it a bit differently than most, with the boards pointing away from the house. This way I just laid out 16' boards without having to make any cuts. Gives a nice clean look, and makes it look bigger, too. The main part is 16x19, so lots of room for summer fun.
I'll update this post with more pics once completed if anyone wants to see the finished product.
By Tonez
Very nice! I need to build a deck on the back of my house too, but I have too many projects going on inside to worry about the outside...lol.
Definitely update with pics when you finish it up!
:thumbsup:
By 1darkV
Thanks for the compliments, guys :D

07BlackedOut wrote:Very nice! I need to build a deck on the back of my house too, but I have too many projects going on inside to worry about the outside...lol.
Definitely update with pics when you finish it up!
:thumbsup:

LOL, you and I have the opposite problem, I can' get to the inside projects because I'm always working on the outside ones :lol:
By 06BLACKOUT
decks lookin good.
cant wait till i build mine
By 1darkV
SER Wes wrote:Looks good :thumbup:

I say put the steps centered on the side closest to the gate maybe? Keep us posted

I agree, unfortunately no one else around here (my family and friends) does :( . I'll probably just put long wide steps off the back of it

duesMANdella wrote:Nice deck build man. Nice and clean
You painting the wood or putting something on it so the winter doesnt rape it?
I gotta redo my deck soon, im making a spot for a hot tub :) and tiki bar :)

Thanks, man :) It's pressure treated wood, cant touch it for at least a year until the chemicals dry up and the wood cures. LoL thats just the thing with pressure treated, its ALOT cheaper than say cedar or composite, but you gotta wait till its dried out before you can stain it. I considered a hot tub, but it just wasn't in the budget this year...getting married, buying a house and furniture for it takes awhile to recover from, unfortunately :violin: . Maybe next year if I can convince my wife to hold off on redoing the bathrooms. Again, lol.

Good luck on your build, are you going to do it so the hot tub is right up on the bar? THAT would be cool, no need to get out to refuel, lol.
By Ground^Up
awesome build man.... Two thumbs up! I just finished helping my dad build a wrap around front porch on his house. I love building stuff. Enjoy!!
By 1darkV
Ground^Up wrote:awesome build man.... Two thumbs up! I just finished helping my dad build a wrap around front porch on his house. I love building stuff. Enjoy!!

Thanks, man...you're right, building it yourself is a lot harder than paying someone to do it, but when its done you can sit back and take pride in what you did :woot: and the fact that it only cost you 1/3 to 1/2 of what you would have paid a contractor feels pretty good, too...more money for beer and bbq, lol :D
By 1darkV
UPDATE

I've been busy with other stuff lately and haven't really worked on my deck too much but this is what Ive done so far (sorry for the crappy pics, couldn't find my camera and had to use my BB):

Installed steps...I found these metal risers and thought they would look great with my "minimalist design". I put the bottom step almost flush to the ground so its a nice lazy walk up to the deck:
I'm going to fill it in behind the steps with gravel, and leave it open so you can see the risers. I'm going to skirt the deck with fence board, and run a band of flowers and plants around the outside of the deck.

Wide shot showing my new patio set, its powder coated aluminum, and it uses standard ceramic floor tiles for the top. Its mesh sling-back, so it dries very quickly. I also got a set of matching gravity chairs, and am trying to find the "right looking" deck bench/storage box to finish the furniture:

Installed a new light, only 13.99 at Crappy Tire:
You can see my new bbq ( I LOVE it. lol...Cuisinart BBQ FTW!!) and a few of the citronella tiki torches I have to make brackets for to mount around the deck for the uninvited buzzbuzzz guests. I also need to replace the screen on the door (small tear in it, big enough though) and refinish the wood around the door and window.

Again, the REAL reason I built the deck, best damn BBQ I've ever had :woot:

Installing it was pretty easy, taking the old one out kinda freaked me out, lol I almost jumped off my ladder when I found this:
There's alot of wd40 on there because I just sprayed it all into the hive to make sure it was dead :?

And I finally got my railing system, black aluminum with wide pickets, pretty easy to put on from what I understand. I cant believe I got all this:
Into here:
LOL now I can say my Spec is also a very practical car, I fit over 35 linear feet of railing in the trunk, with room to spare! :D

Should have it finished within the next few weeks, I'll post more pics then. Any ideas, suggestions or thoughts are appreciated :) Thanks for checking out my build.
By BlackoutV
sweet dude! i like the progress...lookin awesome
By 1darkV
duesMANdella wrote:This is great
my question is how do you drill a hole in concrete like you did to bolt the deck to the house

You need a hammer drill and a masonry bit, 1/2" if I remember correctly.
By 2wenty8ight
Looks like its coming alone real well man.

I don't know about that hive you found there though... I definitely would have jumped off my ladder. looks pretty nasty
By Tonez
Very nice! Can't wait to see the rails put together!
By Savanina
I didnt want to hop into complicated skins immediately.
And...it is not so plain to make all parts fit when you wrap it around 3D model Not if youre new in skinning
And remember its a work-in-progress

Thanks
ALLSENTRA.COM decal/sticker

We do have an official AllSentra decal that's been[…]

Used ye olde nite ize tool there to put my license[…]

How have the stock engine internals endured @9psi […]

How to install rocker moldings

Should be very easy, just some clips I believe