2007-2012
HyBr1D wrote:
eXcude wrote:Heh I just burn MP3 CDs, toss it in the CD player. no need to mess with more wires and another device to fumble with while driving. I can usually fit 6-8 albums on a disc.

wtf is a "CD"... O.o

It's a thing that does stuff.
Oh I know, I was just rollin' with the joke. :D

I usually binge on single band and let a disc with a bunch of albums loop for months on end.
Well, lately I've been experiencing a strange sound/noise coming from the center of my car (transmission area), recap, the transmission is from another sentra (CVT) due to the OEM one was trashed due to an overly elevated manhole. The one replacing the OEM had 30~40K miles on it. Also, I'm no gentle driver... I do drive fast when need be and when I just want to speed. So, switching OD off or using "L" is used almost daily (not constantly).

Yesterday I noticed it more, sounds as if I have an aftermarket exhaust when on "D" or "L" once I accelerate. I don't notice any slips in the transmission but at times if feels as if a bit hesitant. Reversing the car it doesn't make the sound nor in neutral. This morning in Park just turning it on it growled a lot.... until warm. I drove to work and it seemed to calm down a bit but in Drive at a full stop then accelerating it growls again... sounds of a cheap muffler or if I took off the cat. Any ideas what it could be?

My thoughts the CVT belt is going bad.. or needs lube... (indicating possible leak... which I didn't see any tranny oil on the floor.)
HyBr1D wrote:Well, lately I've been experiencing a strange sound/noise coming from the center of my car (transmission area), recap, the transmission is from another sentra (CVT) due to the OEM one was trashed due to an overly elevated manhole. The one replacing the OEM had 30~40K miles on it. Also, I'm no gentle driver... I do drive fast when need be and when I just want to speed. So, switching OD off or using "L" is used almost daily (not constantly).

Yesterday I noticed it more, sounds as if I have an aftermarket exhaust when on "D" or "L" once I accelerate. I don't notice any slips in the transmission but at times if feels as if a bit hesitant. Reversing the car it doesn't make the sound nor in neutral. This morning in Park just turning it on it growled a lot.... until warm. I drove to work and it seemed to calm down a bit but in Drive at a full stop then accelerating it growls again... sounds of a cheap muffler or if I took off the cat. Any ideas what it could be?

My thoughts the CVT belt is going bad.. or needs lube... (indicating possible leak... which I didn't see any tranny oil on the floor.)

Well, once I figure this out ^^^^^ I'm actually going to call it quits... going to finish the projectors install the HID's/ fix my fogs (again) and probably add the lip... (change the speakers/radio as they fail and such but no hurry. Even though I've already came to accept that there is not much of a future for the b16 in-general
HyBr1D wrote:
HyBr1D wrote:Well, lately I've been experiencing a strange sound/noise coming from the center of my car (transmission area), recap, the transmission is from another sentra (CVT) due to the OEM one was trashed due to an overly elevated manhole. The one replacing the OEM had 30~40K miles on it. Also, I'm no gentle driver... I do drive fast when need be and when I just want to speed. So, switching OD off or using "L" is used almost daily (not constantly).

Well, once I figure this out ^^^^^ I'm actually going to call it quits... going to finish the projectors install the HID's/ fix my fogs (again) and probably add the lip... (change the speakers/radio as they fail and such but no hurry. Even though I've already came to accept that there is not much of a future for the b16 in-general

sorry i couldnt help out! and yeah thats sad about the b16. Are you going to sell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once I have the chance to get it looked at and fixed I'm going to take it easy with the car. Modding will reduce and well, change of plans pretty much. I will complete some things here and there and fix others like the rear fender issue, fogs and finally put in the projectors/HID's. Late 2018 I might upgrade the radio/speakers and add a 4ch amp but keep it light, don't need to thump like the ol' days. Add a lip and call it. I don't plan to sell or part out for quite some time but I will inform you all when/if I do.
powderohyeah wrote:Yeah understandable. I think I hit my wall to only thing left now are the coilovers and wheels. I'm really debating on going turbo but don't know if its worth it?.

Well, with the possibility of my transmission acting up after the "new to me" one was installed I figured it's not worth it anymore, really. Just keep the engine alive and maintained and baby the tranny until I ultimately sell it. One thing is for sure, I ain't selling it until I do the tail of the dragon lol. You have a Spec so it's easier to boost, but complications may be waiting for you down the line. *shrugs* I wouldn't know. I'm just going to finish up with what I mentioned and call it quits. :)
Maybe we'll do an AllSentra Tail of the Dragon trip again. If so, it probably wouldn't be until 2019 as I have big travel plans in the summer of 2018 that need to be saved for. Maybe the fall of 2018? We'll see.
BrooksyCC7 wrote:Maybe we'll do an AllSentra Tail of the Dragon trip again. If so, it probably wouldn't be until 2019 as I have big travel plans in the summer of 2018 that need to be saved for. Maybe the fall of 2018? We'll see.

Sounds like a plan, I will most definitely be attending, plus gives me plenty of time to look for a new tire setup when it comes to replace the Continentals. :)
powderohyeah wrote:Yeah understandable. I think I hit my wall to only thing left now are the coilovers and wheels. I'm really debating on going turbo but don't know if its worth it?.

If you take the time to prep the engine for boost, it's worth it IMO. Of course that isn't cheap. My plans are to wait and see what kind of condition the body is in around 150k-200k miles and either ditch it or have an engine rebuild. Prep for boost and boost the bitch.

I'd rather spend 10k reviving the engine than dealing with buying a new car!
eXcude wrote:

If you take the time to prep the engine for boost, it's worth it IMO. Of course that isn't cheap. My plans are to wait and see what kind of condition the body is in around 150k-200k miles and either ditch it or have an engine rebuild. Prep for boost and boost the bitch.

My car has 160,000 km’s now. I bought it brand new back in 2010 with no idea of the cars potential. Never bagged it, always babied it. Body is still in good condition but obviously bottom has rust cause of snow and salt.

I know Treadstone has an engine rebuild kit, thats if they do still have it? unless anyone else has any other ideas for rebuild?That was my plan anyways,i have been doing research on putting a snail on the car. Really want to but wife says just to buy a new car with turbo. What to do!!?? haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eXcude wrote:

[glow=red]
If you take the time to prep the engine for boost, it's worth it IMO.
[/glow] Of course that isn't cheap. My plans are to wait and see what kind of condition the body is in around 150k-200k miles and either ditch it or have an engine rebuild. Prep for boost and boost the bitch.

me too!

mine has been great fun
and
a good bit of expense

it's survived two dragon tails
[750 and 600 miles duration, i only live aprox 150 miles away]

two sessions of many hours on track
hours of mt runs

and endless roll ons
[not that many runs from a dig now, and notice how much less breakage i have]

the b16 spec, has a better crank, rods, pistons, cams, and cylinder head
and in my opinion is capable of sustaining 300whp on a fresh long block

add forged rods and pistons good for 360whp

enough to compensate for it's greater weight

with proper cooling for oil and water
and an excellent conservative tune
for tq

will imo last along time

spec v's already handle well.
and have good enough brakes [given upgraded pads]

plus easier to deal with manual transmissions
to handle the additional power

imo
rods and pistons will fit
i'm using forged pistons and forged h beam rods with a b16 crank
so yes there are pistons and rods for the b16

the use of forged parts allows about 60-80 more whp
[i'm using 360whp as my top tune]

stock rods and pistons imo good for 300whp

arp bolts, a good head-gasket
some attention to increased cooling [they run hot]

ready to go

with sleeves up to 450whp has already been done in a very streetable manner

car is more docile than mine
even has A/C and is used as a DD
BEEN IN IT , many times
Shanovers car on b15u

the BEST tuner you can find
i'm using uprev with good results
powderohyeah wrote:Ive been looking at the treadstone turbo kit for b16 spec. As I said I'm running 160,000 kms.Do you think I will need to replace engine internals? I cant seem to find any rebuild parts for my car, unless b15 parts will work?

not entirely necessary
, just have to be in good shape.

many have put turbo kits on stock engines
and this seems to work out fine with low boost [say 10lb] and whp near 300

the addition of forged parts and a blueprinted long block
increase reliability, increase power noticably and usually allow for a longer lifespan

and much smoother running

with larger injectors the treadstone kit can produce well over 400whp
at basically the same price as 300whp

a built engine allows you to use more of the power it can generate

and the heavier b16, imo will need the extra 60-80whp to run the same as the lighter cars

btw
mine comes in at 3000lb now
so i need the extra power just to run with the lower boost and hp but much lighter 2500lb b15s,
with just 300whp

also
the power limitations stated here have to do with the block cracking
i'm gonna say at around 400 crank hp,

[but the engines [5 now] i have seen were closer to 450, unsleeved]

however the racers have done this even na
[i did it on n2o]
check the the mad Hungarians thread on the other site

How have the stock engine internals endured @9psi […]

How to install rocker moldings

Should be very easy, just some clips I believe

Fits b17 Sentra SV? If so I will give you $280 for[…]