2007-2012
By XCLR8
I have reverted some of my aero/efficiency mods and going for a more performance feel.
So far I have done the following:
Front splitter (Strafe Design) w/ APR support rods (originally for 06-07 Subaru WRX STI)
Kosei 17x7 lightweight rims w/ Goodyear Eagle Sports
Perrin Performance rear gurney Flap
Front Grill Block
D2 Street Coil-overs
Duralo Cast driled/slotted front rotor(stock size)
Steel-braided Brake lines
https://www.flickr.com/photos/36116173@N07/41396978424/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/36116173@N07/41396975594/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/36116173@N07/41396971324/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/36116173@N07/41396907084/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/36116173@N07/40310121400/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/36116173@N07/42117369651/in/dateposted-public/
By powderohyeah
Nice ride man! like the look of the lip. Are you planning to drop the ride some more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By XCLR8
Yeah the D2's are very adjustable, will probably lose two inches front and back. I would go more but the roads I drive tend to have weird off camber turns and steep angles so I can't really slam my ride.

The plan is to make a custom intake, I am thinking something that sucks air near the windshield.
Down the road some Weapon R race headers which I will have to mate to the CAT bc Cali sucks like that.
I am welding my own center exit dual tip exhaust with a Helmholtz chamber to kill drone.
CVT cooler.
TWEED'S strut brace
And one these supercharger kits when they are out https://arcsuperchargers.com/
300zx 26mm front caliper with bremb0 adapter plate
Q45 rear piston conversion for rear drums
By Mbrice420
Welcome friend :D

Nice looking ride for sure!
I like the grill too :thumbup:

Oh boy... More of those electric
"superchargers". :facepalm:
Claiming that the design requires several Kilowatts to run, Im wondering how long their battery system is really gonna last when in hard use.
By powderohyeah
XCLR8 wrote:Yeah the D2's are very adjustable, will probably lose two inches front and back. I would go more but the roads I drive tend to have weird off camber turns and steep angles so I can't really slam my ride.

The plan is to make a custom intake, I am thinking something that sucks air near the windshield.
Down the road some Weapon R race headers which I will have to mate to the CAT bc Cali sucks like that.
I am welding my own center exit dual tip exhaust with a Helmholtz chamber to kill drone.
CVT cooler.
TWEED'S strut brace
And one these supercharger kits when they are out https://arcsuperchargers.com/
300zx 26mm front caliper with bremb0 adapter plate
Q45 rear piston conversion for rear drums

Nice list of mods! i have the ksport adjustable coilovers, which are basically the same thing lol. A supercharger eh?? Are they actually producing one for our cars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By XCLR8
Thanks guys!
These supercharger systems are not a hoax, unlike the ebay turbo/bilge pump snake oil commonly referred to as electric turbos online.

These systems have proven track record with Thomas Knight and Phantom Superchargers. Both have stopped production because they are one man teams and have since moved on to other projects but all the cars running these actually have a mild boost. Just look up the turbo'd Scion FRS and Subaru Brz and you will see the results.
On an a stock engine like the one in our base 2L mild boost is perfect. The limitations of these older systems came from the charging units and battery type used. These were still using Lead-ACid batteries. The system above is using LiPO which is more energy dense with lower weight and can keep the car at boost indefinitely albeit at 4-9psi max.
More recently Audi is using them in their cars and there are at least 5 firms selling to OEMs for commercial applications. See also Ford's proof of concept https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9vZLYMoTCQ

This would not be made specifically for our car but will be universal as the Phantom ESC and Thomas Knight ones were. All you need is to get the piping and wiring set up and you are golden.
By yogib777
love the koseis, great wheels
i used them on my vq swap

not so sure on the electric supercharger
definitely workable at high current [amperage] levels

but good lithium ion batteries could run 500 bucks apiece and have very expensive chargers
[i use scaled down versions to fly electric rc airplanes and quads]

likely to be as expensive as standard turbo setups
which can also be low boost

i have some experience with low boost stock qr25de's
none with mr 20

they work very well in my opinion

ran mine at 6lbs for 3 days as well
about 240-260 hp by estimate

very fun
did it for a feed back report to 2jr

they went ahead with the econo turbo kit for low boost on stock qr's
fun vehicles
imo
By XCLR8
Yeah I am curious to see how this plays or if they even deliver the final product. Since their team is small as well. Considering that a custom turbo kit can be built for the MR20 for about $3900 as I have heard it seems that may be the way I go.

The only issue is I wonder if I would have to get reinforced crank. Based on that boosted MR20 thread the con rods need to be upgraded for sure if I want some decent power.
By HyBr1D
The stock internal may not be able to hold the added boost. Remember that custom turbo was never tested on an MR20... but the treadstone kit for the QR is tested. You'll add 4K for the custom turbo kit and a highly recommended engine build. Sleeve it, custom rods and pistons..... bore/port/polish etc etc... a lot of the work will be custom/on-off really and will be pricey and you would know how reliable it is vs a treadstone kit. They might both come out the same but with more reliability from the QR. IMO
By XCLR8
Indeed may need sleeves as I heard that the block for the MR20 was thinner to save weight and plus AFAIK it is an ALU block not Iron like in the older nissan 4 bangers. Hard to say if it will be truly worth it. On the one hand it would be more power or about the same as a lot of modern hot hatches which a also FWD. However since this is not OEM the reliability of the whole system is questionable and no doubt will hurt engine life.
The guy who did his ended up doing the whole fuel system as well when doing the turbo and that adds cost on top of the 4k so at that point I am looking at putting in the cost of the car into the project. Resale at that point is tough too due to the amount of mods, only an enthusiast would be interested XD
By HyBr1D
The enthusiast that would be interested would be straight out of HS with parent money. I thought of the same thing which is why I turned my head into making it an unofficial SE-R/Spec lol... then boosting.. would be way easier to swap and be similar in cost with more reliability... I'm not trying to be the first or the few... I just want something with enough power to move the car when I need it and not wine when you push the throttle.. (mainly because of the CVT) lol.
By yogib777
with turbo imo
don't bother with cams, port and polish or upgraded valves

upgraded fuel pump in the stock canister
larger injectors

cold treating and micro shotpeening the crank and rods recommended
use forged pistons

should be good for up to 260hp from the crazies i have seen

there are a lot of mr20's in auto-x here.
sam really did start something

they don't post

saw one at the drags
didn't get to talk to him but i saw he ran in the 14s
got to have some power to do that

imo
By XCLR8
Thank you yogi I am still on the fence about going quite that far. For now I want to get the braces that HyBr1D has on his ride and install bigger brakes possibly with a bias adjustment knob. I just ordered the lighter 2j pulley, hopefully this increases responsiveness. Once I feel the chassis is up to par then I can see if its worth the $$$ to go up in power.
By yogib777
XCLR8 wrote:Thank you yogi I am still on the fence about going quite that far. For now I want to get the braces that HyBr1D has on his ride and install bigger brakes possibly with a bias adjustment knob. I just ordered the lighter 2j pulley, hopefully this increases responsiveness. Once I feel the chassis is up to par then I can see if its worth the $$$ to go up in power.

great idea
i did all the suspension work and upgraded the brakes
before i did anything [besides a pop charger] to the engine

even had the roll cage installed prior to the vq swap

when the vq went in [2008]
it sat on teins, with nismo bars front and rear, 12.3" rear rotors and upgraded hawk hps pads front
roll cage, 15lb kosei wheels with [lol, what did i know then] ittsy bitsy 225/45/17 tires

quite the sleeper
ran 12.6s like clockworks [on slicks]
ImageDSCF0375 by Barry Belgard, on Flickr
By HyBr1D
I took the same route... did all the suspension work... might still consider the fender braces but the car is quite rigid already with everything it has installed. Engine-wise, I didn't do much either just CAI and pulley. I still want to take on that SER 4 to 5 lug swap then upgrade the stock SER brake system. A friend of mine said, "Why add big brakes now and add weight to that weak motor, add some power first before adding stopping power." I understand where he's coming from but I don't plan on building the motor in bits and pieces. He has a VW Tiguan which is an oversized GTI... so, his mods were a lot easier to come by on stock internals being that the engine is shared throughout multiple platforms (2.0T TSI / GTI/Jetta/CC/A4 etc..).

Depending where my current brakes are at and whether or not I'm lucky enough to find a wrecked SER at the junkyard with it's stock wheels still installed then I'll move forward with the process.
By yogib777
HyBr1D wrote:I took the same route... did all the suspension work... might still consider the fender braces but the car is quite rigid already with everything it has installed. Engine-wise, I didn't do much either just CAI and pulley. I still want to take on that SER 4 to 5 lug swap then upgrade the stock SER brake system. A friend of mine said, "Why add big brakes now and add weight to that weak motor, add some power first before adding stopping power." I understand where he's coming from but I don't plan on building the motor in bits and pieces. He has a VW Tiguan which is an oversized GTI... so, his mods were a lot easier to come by on stock internals being that the engine is shared throughout multiple platforms (2.0T TSI / GTI/Jetta/CC/A4 etc..).

Depending where my current brakes are at and whether or not I'm lucky enough to find a wrecked SER at the junkyard with it's stock wheels still installed then I'll move forward with the process.

i'm gonna be blunt
just plain wrong, wrong wrong

i saved 10lbs [per wheel] of unsprung weight
using 4 puck microlite wilwood calipers and stock size 11" two piece rotors
Image20171004_162139 by Barry Belgard, on Flickr

braking power about tripled
stops from 115-120mph on short outlaw strips were no problem
handled the vq, 1st AMP run, the dragons tail and a two hour downhill run from the highest mountain in ga [brasstown, bald]
with no fade or change in pedal feel

improved my ride, my acceleration as well as deceleration

later as the turbo reached 394whp
i enlarged the the rotors to 12.2"s
ready for Bonneville lol
added 2lb per wheel
ImageDSCN1643 by Barry Belgard, on Flickr

i have never flat spotted a tire with these
[don't ask about brembos, w/o abs i tended to lock them up]
no abs on the wilwoods ether

very easy to modulate
consistent pedal